People who hire lawyers are not exactly customers. No one wants to go back and fight another DUI charge because the lawyer they hired the first time was awesome; it is not like going back to the same restaurant next week because you enjoyed the food there so much the first time. Despite the differences between law firms and other types of businesses, a post on MyShingle encourages law firms to adopt some “client first” strategies, inspired by “customer first” marketing tactics employed by other businesses.
Walking Clients Through the Process
The services for which clients hire lawyers are complex and require specialized knowledge; if this were the case, then clients would simply write wills and draft business contracts on their own, instead of paying a lawyer to help them. Despite this, the more lawyers help clients understand every step of the legal action in which they are involved, the more empowered they feel. Explaining to clients, from a statutory and practical perspective, what you are doing build trust between attorneys and clients. Here are some ways lawyers can help clients see the big picture about the legal process in which they are involved and understand their role in it:
· Checklists on relevant pages of your law firm’s website
· Videos readily available on your law firm’s website
· Blog posts about specific cases in your practice area from your state
· Acknowledging, in person or by email, ways in which your clients’ actions have helped their case
Communication Is Key
Lawyers already work hard and have very little free time; no one is suggesting that you spend even more time working than you already do. Clients value responsiveness from lawyers, though. Here are some ways you can stay in touch with clients without giving up all your privacy and free time.
· Set up an email account or phone number for text messages where clients can ask their questions after hours. If your law firm is big enough, have different lawyers and paralegals be responsible for reading the messages on different nights of the week.
· Send a weekly newsletter by email about your law firm’s activities and about current news related to your practice area.
Let Law Blog Writers Do the Writing
Many “client first” services require your individual attention, but you can easily hire professional writers to write an informative blog. You can count on Law Blog Writers to create well researched, readable content to help your current and prospective clients stay informed.